Friday, January 14, 2011

Battery Backpack

A few months ago I built a small "backpack" for my rechargable battery pack in order to bring the 9.6v battery to a more microcontroller friendly 5v. Well, it lasted for a good while but then I ended up snapping the LM7805 regulator off the board. Instead of repairing it, I decided to make a new one. The new version uses binding posts instead of female headers, and also breaks out the source voltage. It's a bit larger then the last one, but still fits on the battery pack.

 As you can see, I had a cheap bent piece of aluminum for a heatsink before, and things were a bit crowded. I'm going to miss the female headers, but if it becomes a problem there is still room to add them on the new board.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Electronic Dice

 The past couple of weeks I've been building some electronic dice based on a project I read at The Electronics Club. Since I live in the US its pretty hard to find stripboard, so this project just sat on the back burner until one day I decided to toss it together on breadboard. My last order from Mouser had landed me enough parts to build 5 of these, so instead of letting it gather dust I mocked one up.

Santa-Pede Challenge

So Hack-a-Day is rehosting their Santa-Pede Challenge since there were zero entries the last time around. I figured I would at least pick up one of those annoying santas and tear it apart, just to see what I could do.